Monday 22 August 2016

Free Advertising

Recently, I got an enquiry from a large company (who shall remain nameless!) asking me if I would heavily discount or "donate" my cupcakes to an event they were holding at their shop in return for them leaving my business cards out/free advertising. I politely said that there were no discounts available in return for this and that I could only offer the discounts that I would give to anyone depending on the quantity they ordered. They said thank you and didn't take the order any further.

 I do not have a problem with charities asking me for cupcake donations (I don't give them, I give vouchers to limited numbers of charities and usually small, local ones) or people enquiring as to discounts BUT I have to say that it does put my back up a little when large, prominent companies who can most definitely afford to pay for my services and delicious cake, ask for freebies in return for advertising.


 I offer Branded cupcakes which are very popular with businesses to promote their services and do not believe it's fair on me, or those businesses that pay the full price for these products, to give other businesses my products for free. In hindsight, I wish I had asked for their products for free in return for me telling my customers about them because at the end of the day, how is that different? Apart from the fact they can probably afford to buy my products and I can't afford to buy theirs!!


Some examples of logo cupcakes


For me, this is not "free advertising", it is the hours I take to make the cupcakes, the electricity I use to bake the cupcakes and the of course, the ingredients that go into the cupcakes. None of which is free. 

It is something that artists and small businesses come into contact with repeatedly, work in return for "experience" or "advertising". Don't devalue yourself or your products. Don't work for "free".

Happy baking!

Lucy

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you and it's quite a cheek to ask for free products. However, as you know I work in the digital world. If you can get them to put a link on their website to yours, it is worth free cakes, but do make sure they have a strong website to begin with (nothing less than a Domain Authority of 40). In terms of search (where you show up in google) this is worth it..... however, leaving a couple of business cards around or printed advertising is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes agreed, different kettle of fish I think. Definitely have to weigh up the pros and cons. But not necessarily worth £100s of cakes!

      Delete